Dairy Free Lemon Friand, Raspberries, Rhubarb and Lemon Curd
- For the Friands:
- 125 g Caster Sugar
- 125 g Coconut Oil
- 2 St Ewe Boost the Roost Egg Whites
- 125 g Ground Almonds
- 40 g Plain or Gluten Free Flour
- Zest of 1 lemon save the juice for the syrup
- 6 cup dariole moulds buttered or use 6cake moulds
- 20 g extra caster sugar for the syrup
- Extra butter for greasing
- For the Lemon Curd:
- 60 g Coconut Oil
- 125 g Caster Sugar
- Juice and Zest of 1 Lemon
- 1 Whole Boost the Roost Egg and 1 Egg Yolk beaten
- To assemble:
- 1 punnet Fresh Raspberries
- Poached Forced Rhubarb
- Coconut Milk Yoghurt
- Crushed Meringue optional
- Candied Lemon Zest optional
- Rhubarb crisps or thinly sliced raw Rhubarb optional
- Melt the coconut oil in a small saucepan over low heat. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Beat the egg white and caster sugar together until just frothy
- Stir in the ground almonds, then the coconut oil.
- Add the lemon zest and then the flour. Mix well. Set aside for half an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees Celsius.
- Make the lemon curd by melting the coconut oil with the sugar , lemon juice and zest in a heat proof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water.
- Once the sugar is dissolved, whisk in the beaten egg and yolk.
- Keep stirring or whisking until the mix begins to thicken and will coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove from the heat and place into a container to store.
- Divide the friand mix between the moulds of choice
- Place in the pre-heated oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden. Test they are cooked through by inserting a clean skewer into the middle; it will come out clean.
- Remove form the oven and leave to cool for a few minutes, then tip the friands out of the moulds and place on a cooling rack, upside down
- Mix the extra caster sugar with the juice from the zested lemon to make a fresh syrup and spoon over the friands.
- Once the friands have cooled, trim off the tops if they are not level
- Cut each in half hemispherically and spoon some of the lemon curd onto the bottom half.
- Top with raspberries and rhubarb and a spoonful of coconut milk yoghurt.
- Put the top half on add lemon curd, raspberries etc as for the filling.
- Garnish with some candied lemon zest, crushed meringue and rhubarb crisps if desired.
If you have put our recipes to the test or have any stories, recipe ideas of your own or photos you would like to share with us, please send to Nikki or follow and tag us on your social media posts.