Gingerbread Spiced Marshmallows
Inspired by Great British Bake Off's Spice Week!
- Prep time:10 minutes
- Cooking time:20 minutes
- Measure the Sugar, Honey and 200ml of water into a heavy based saucepan.
- Place over medium high heat and bring to the boil. Keep cooking the syrup until it reaches 126 degrees Celsius on a sugar thermometer.
- While the syrup is cooking, put the gelatine leaves in half and place in a bowl. Add 140ml of water and set aside for the gelatine to soften.
- Measure the egg whites into a clean, grease free bowl. Whip using an electric food mixer to stiff peaks.
- When the syrup reaches the desired temperature, add the gelatine and water. Mix to combine; it may bubble up so be careful to not burn your self.
- Transfer the syrup and gelatine mix to a heat proof jug.
- While the egg whites are still whipping, slowly pour the syrup onto them. Once all of the syrup is added, add the vanilla, then keep beating on high for 6 minutes.
- Sprinkle in 2 tsp each of ground ginger and 1 tsp mixed spice. Beat for 1 more minute until combined
- While the marshmallow mix is beating, prepare the tray. Dust the base liberally with a mix of sifted icing sugar and cornflour.
- When the marshmallow is ready, spoon the marshmallow onto the prepared tray, gently spreading so it is even.
- Place the marshmallow in the fridge to set for an hour or so. Once it is set, ease it out of the tray with a spatula onto a chopping board dusted with more sifted icing sugar and cornflour.
- Cut to desired size and either serve straight away, or store in an airtight container for up to 3 days
- Make a big batch and freeze for up to 2 months. Due to the high sugar content they freeze very well.