Purple Velvet Cake
- Prep time:15 minutes
- Cooking time:50 minutes
- For the cake, set the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Butter and line an 8 or 10 inch, round cake tin with baking parchment. If using an 8 inch tin, make sure it is a deep one.
- Sift the dry ingredients together.
- Cream the butter and sugar together, using an electric mixer, until light and fluffy.
- Add the food colouring, vanilla extract and then 1 egg. Keep beating until smooth. Add 1 spoonful of the dry ingredients and mix in. Add another egg and beat well.
- Fold in half of the dry ingredients, then add half of the milk with the cider vinegar and fold in.
- Add the remainder of the dry ingredients and gently mix until incorporated.
- Add the rest of the milk and carefully mix until smooth.
- Spoon into the prepared cake tin and smooth the top. Place into the preheated oven and bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for half an hour, before taking the cake out of the tin to finish cooling on a rack.
- While the cake is cooling, make the icing by beating the butter until light and fluffy.
- Carefully add the icing sugar and beat well. Add enough of the food colouring to give the desired purple hue.
- When the cake is cold, split it into 3 or 4 layers.
- Spread each layer with some of the butter cream and then some jam.
- Sandwich the layers together, then skim the outside of the cake with the remaining butter cream.
- Garnish with Blackberries and serve.