A perfect treat to make in the run up to Christmas, they are especially good with a cup of Teapigs Winter Spiced Tea. These biscuits also make an excellent gift, wrapped up in a little box with a bow - for neighbors, colleagues and friends. The biscuit decoration can be as simple or intricate as you like depending on time you have available!
- Cream the butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy
- Beat in the egg, then add the sifted dry ingredients
- Combine to form a smooth dough and chill for a couple of hours (or overnight)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Line 3 baking trays with non stick baking parchment.
- Cut the biscuit dough in half and roll out one half on a floured surface until the dough is about 3mm thick.
- Using lightly floured festive cutters, cut out the dough into desired shapes and then place on the prepared baking trays, leaving about 2cm between each biscuit.
- When the trays are full, place in the oven and bake to 10 to 12 minutes or until they are firm on top and slightly browned underneath.
- Remove from the oven to cool. Repeat the process until all the biscuit dough is used.
- Make a smooth icing by blending the icing sugar and lemon juice together. Add a little hot water if required. Check the consistency of the icing; it need to hold it's shape when piping.
- Spoon some of the icing into a piping bag with a fine piping nozzle. Decoratively pipe the icing onto the biscuits. Set aside to set, then store in an airtight container , layered between sheets of baking parchment. Enjoy!