Spiced Festive Biscuits
A perfect treat to make in the run up to Christmas, they are especially good with a cup of Teapigs Winter Spiced Tea. These biscuits also make an excellent gift, in brown paper packages tied up in strings. Perfect for neighbours, colleagues and friends, and make the ultimate eco gift. The biscuit decoration can be as simple or intricate as you like depending on time you have available!
- Prep time:15 minutes
- Cooking time:30 minutes
- Cream the butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy
- Beat in the egg, then add the sifted dry ingredients
- Combine to form a smooth dough and chill for a couple of hours (or overnight)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Line 3 baking trays with non stick baking parchment.
- Cut the biscuit dough in half and roll out one half on a floured surface until the dough is about 3mm thick.
- Using lightly floured festive cutters, cut out the dough into desired shapes and then place on the prepared baking trays, leaving about 2cm between each biscuit.
- When the trays are full, place in the oven and bake to 10 to 12 minutes or until they are firm on top and slightly browned underneath.
- Remove from the oven to cool. Repeat the process until all the biscuit dough is used.
- Make a smooth icing by blending the icing sugar and lemon juice together. Add a little hot water if required. Check the consistency of the icing; it need to hold it's shape when piping.
- Spoon some of the icing into a piping bag with a fine piping nozzle. Decoratively pipe the icing onto the biscuits. Set aside to set, then store in an airtight container , layered between sheets of baking parchment. Enjoy!