St Ewe Boost the Roost Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Paleo Chocolate Cake
- For the cake
- 4 St Ewe Boost the Roost Eggs separated
- 180 g of 85% Dairy Free Dark Chocolate broken into pieces
- 80 g Coconut Oil
- 120 g Coconut Sugar
- 250 g Ground Almonds
- Juice and Zest of 1 orange
- 1 deep 8inch round cake tin or 2 shallow ones sides and base lined with baking parchment
- For the icing
- 200 g 85% Dairy Free Dark Chocolate broken into pieces
- 60 ml Almond Milk
- 56 g Coconut Oil
- 2 Tbsp Powdered Coconut Sugar Optional
- Mixed Berries and edible flowers
- Organic Cacao Nibs
- Set the oven to 160 degrees Celsius
- Melt the chocolate and coconut oil over low heat
- Cream the egg yolks and coconut sugar together
- In a separate bowl, whip the egg white to stiff peaks
- Add the melted chocolate, orange juice and zest, ground almonds to the yolks and mix well
- Fold in half of the whipped whites until incorporated.
- Fold in the remaining egg whites and carefully mix until smooth
- Tip into the pre-prepared cake tin and bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. If using 2 tine cooking time will be more like 30 minutes depending on your oven.
- Remove from the oven and cool in the tin
For the icing/decoration
- Once the cake is cool, remove from the tin, take off the paper and make the icing
- Melt the chocolate, almond milk and coconut oil together over low heat
- Stir in the coconut sugar if using
- Whisk together
- If the mix is very soft, transfer to a plastic tub and cool in the fridge for a few minutes until it has firmed up a little and is more manageable
- Split the cake in half and spread the bottom half with some of the icing.
- Scatter over a few berries
- Place the top half of the cake over the filled base
- Spread the remaining icing on top of the cake
- Garnish with berries of choice, cacao nibs and edible flowers. I used Raspberries, Blueberries and Primroses. I also added a few candied Almonds.
If you have put our recipes to the test or have any stories, recipe ideas of your own or photos you would like to share with us, please send to Nikki or follow and tag us on your social media posts.