Work with us
If you are on this page that means you are thinking about joining our family run business and looking for your next career move.
St Ewe Free Range Eggs are an innovative, fast paced, orders based business working with supermarkets and distributors from Cornwall to London to Hong Kong!
Quality and welfare is the bedrock of our business and we take pride in every egg that leaves our farms. We are always eager to hear from people who can share our passion and bring a positive attitude to the job and team.
We offer full training and as a growing business, we can offer the opportunity for growth in your career.
If there is not a job advertised that you think you can do, please feel free to send us your CV and a covering letter telling us why you think you would be an asset to our flock!
Health & Safety Advisor
Part time, permanent opportunity (12 hours per week), with potential to move up to 3 days.
Starting pay: £13.46 per hour.
The post holder will be responsible for the systematic identification, recording, evaluation of risks arising from non-compliance with statutory legislation relating to the management of Health & Safety within the organisation and to minimise St Ewe Eggs exposure to those risks.
This will include the delivery of an effective and efficient service to the organisation capable of demonstrating high levels of compliance with health, safety, fire and environmental legislation.
To ensure improved uptake of mandatory training throughout the organisation.
This would include interpretation of the current and any new legislative changes including the development of high level risk assessments and H&S guidance and ensuring a Covid-19 secure site.
Key Working Relationships
- Packing Centre and Pasteuriser teams
- Technical Services/Quality systems
- Farm Producers
- Farm & Engineering team
- Senior Management and Administration team
- Health and Safety Executive
- Local Fire Service
- Local Authority
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Support the organisations operations teams with the arrangements of safe systems of work and risk assessment procedures. Act as main point of contact as the organisations “Health & Safety Advisor”.
2. To lead on all health and safety matters for the compliance with the Health and Safety at Work Act and produce periodic reports.
3. The post holder will demonstrate specialist skills, knowledge and expertise in fire, health and safety management.
4. Lead on the health and safety related standards from external programmes and ensure the required policies and procedures are in place and capable of providing robust evidence and continuing improvement.
5. Responsible for the development and operational undertaking of a rolling programme of Health and Safety assessments in accordance of the organisations Legal and Statutory obligation on compliance and to maintain records for the purposes of audit trails as instructed by the Health and Safety Executive.
6. Develop and implement fire, health and safety key performance indicators capable of providing assurances to the owner.
7. Identify, assess and evaluate fire, health and safety risks and ensure these are reported through the appropriate system with robust actions plans to mitigate risk.
8. Responsible in the development of the annual fire, health and safety programme identifying priorities and milestones. To oversee the implementation of the organisation wide programme. This will include tracking systems to demonstrate to the owner that the improvements are being made and sustained.
9. Will be required to thoroughly investigate the nature, cause, and extent of H&S related incidents under the organisations serious incident protocols. Providing comprehensive reports where required.
10. Be responsible for Using data sources available (incident reports, risk assessment, external agency inspections), providing recommendations of improvements that will increase compliance with health, safety and fire legislation.
11. Increase the safety culture and awareness across the organisation with a need for involvement at all levels of the organisation in identification and reporting of issues that will improve safety standards.
12. Hold a regular meetings with the owner and collate information on all Health and Safety related incidents that arise from failure of equipment, staff actions, structure, fabric or finishes. Review any pattern of incidents, prepare initial analysis and subsequent report on incidents, identify any patterns, common risk, along with short and long term action required to minimise future risk.
13. Follow good financial control and maintain high standards of professional conduct and integrity.
General Duties and Responsibilities:
1. To maintain a first class level of customer service ensuring that all customers are treated efficiently and in an appropriate manner.
2. To participate in the Annual Performance Development Review Process.
3. To actively support equality and diversity policies of St Ewe Free Range Eggs.
4. To attend training courses as identified and agreed for appropriate development.
5. To develop a St Ewe Free Range Eggs Environmental Policy by implementing working practices and procedures that ensure a sustainable approach to the use of resources and that resources are disposed of in an efficient and environmentally friendly way.
6. Working within the Health and Safety at Work Act, the post holder has a legal duty to take reasonable care for Health and Safety both for themselves and others who may be affected by their actions.
7. Undertaking other duties not specifically stated which from time to time are necessary without altering the nature or level of responsibility.
Attributes: Education / Qualifications
- Hold an industry recognised qualification such as the NEBOSH Diploma (or equivalent).
- Graduate in Health and Safety or equivalent relevant experience.
Experience / Knowledge:
- Expert knowledge of current and emerging fire, health and safety legislation.
- Significant experience of operating in a similar role within a medium sized organisation.
- The ability to motivate others to deliver high-quality work in a busy, fast-moving environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in order to work with, provide advice to, train and promote excellence in Health and Safety.
- Proven ability to provide written reports.
- Experience of working in a manufacturing environment
- Experience of undertaking internal audits.
- Experience of delivering training sessions.
Skills / Personal Requirements:
- Ability to communicate effectively a wide range of people and work collaboratively.
- Professional in their approach to dealing with issues and employees.
- Appreciation of confidentiality and discretion.
- Strong organisational or administrative skills with attention to detail and a methodical approach.
- Focused on delivering outstanding customer service.
- Flexible approach to working hours.
- Ability to lead by example and motivate staff.
- Ability to manage own workload with limited supervision and working underpressure to achieve deadlines.
- IT literate, with the ability to use the full Microsoft Office package.
To apply for this role please send a cover letter explaining why you want to join the St Ewe team and an up to date CV to:
Glenn Coulson: email@example.com
To keep all of our team safe we are conducting regular daily temperature checks and offer hand washing stations and hand sanitiser throughout the site.