Falafel Scotch Egg
- Prep time:20 minutes
- Cooking time:8 minutes
- 75 g Dried Chickpeas soaked in cold water overnight
- 1 tsp Tahini
- 1 tsp Sriracha style chilli sauce
- 1 tsp Ras el Hanout
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tsp Coriander Seeds
- 1 tbsp Chopped Coriander leaves
- 2 chives finely chopped
- 3 St Ewe Rich Yolk Eggs
- Salt and Pepper
- 100 g gluten free plain flour or buckwheat flour
- 100 g mix of black and white sesame seeds
- Oil for deep frying
- A deep fryer for cooking the scotch eggs
- Bring a small pan of salted water to the boil and cook 2 of the eggs for 6 minutes. Remove from the heat, drain off the water, lightly crack the shells and then cool under cold, running water. Set aside while you make the falafel mix.
- Drain the chickpeas and rinse well. Place into a food processor. Pulse until the chickpeas are finely chopped.
- Add the tahini, spices, herbs and chilli sauce. Blend well
- Add salt and pepper if desired.
- Peel the eggs carefully.
- Put the flour and sesame seeds into two separate bowls or containers.
- Pat the peeled eggs dry then dust with a little flour
- Take half of the falafel mix into your hands and flatten it to form a cup shape.
- Place one egg onto the fish mix and using both hands, gently ease and pinch the mixture around the egg to enclose it, moulding it so the egg has an even covering.
- Repeat the process with the second egg. Set aside and wash your hands.
- Whisk the egg in another bowl.
- Roll each egg in flour, then into the egg, then coat evenly with crumbs and sesame seeds.
- Place both coated eggs on a paper lined tray and put in the fridge for 15 minutes to set
- Heat the oil to 160 degrees Celsius in a deep fryer.
- Deep fry the scotch eggs for 6 to 8 minutes until they are golden and crispy.
- Remove from the oil, drain well and set aside to cool.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature. These go really with sweet chilli sauce.
If you have put our recipes to the test or have any stories, recipe ideas of your own or photos you would like to share with us, please send to Nikki or follow and tag us on your social media posts.