A delicious meal that is seriously satisfying no matter what time of day you choose to have it. Full of delicious vegetables and spices that go perfectly with a lovely runny egg yolk (or two)!
- Cooking time:25 minutes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 Red Onion thinly sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic thinly sliced
- 2 tomatoes roughly chopped
- 1 green chilli sliced
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp Cumin Seeds
- ½ tsp Sea salt
- ½ tsp black pepper freshly ground
- 1 tin of plum tomatoes
- 200 g roasted red peppers torn into strips
- ¼ savoy cabbage shredded
- 2-4 St Ewe Eggs depending how hungry you are
- To serve
- Coriander and flat leaf parsley leaves
- Heat a two-person skillet over a medium heat with the olive oil. Add the red onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened and starting to brown.
- Add the fresh tomatoes and chilli and cook for another 5 minutes until the tomatoes start to break down. Mix in the chilli flakes, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Follow the spices with the tinned plum tomatoes breaking the tomatoes open as you go. Allow everything to simmer together for a few minutes, stirring every now and again so nothing burns.
- Add the peppers and cabbage and gently stir to combine. Allow to bubble away for 5 minutes, reducing the heat if it starts to boil too vigorously.
- Make wells in the mix and crack in as many eggs as you are having. The eggs will cook in the juices in around 5-10 minutes, depending on size and how close they are to the bottom of the pan etc so just keep your eye on them.
- Once the eggs are cooked to your liking, carefully remove the skillet from the heat and scatter with some fresh herbs.
- It’s also delicious served with a buttery wholewheat pitta, sprinkled in nigella seeds to dip into the eggs and scoop up the tomatoes.
If you have put our recipes to the test or have any stories, recipe ideas of your own or photos you would like to share with us, please send to Nikki or follow and tag us on your social media posts.