Kimchi Potato Cakes with Poached Eggs & Avocado
Eggs contain a number of important minerals & nutrients like Vitamin B2, B12 & D. Combine this with Kimchi, fermented cabbage, packed full of vitamins A, B, and C and "healthy bacteria" called lactobacilli, that is great for gut health this recipe is health packed for Vegetarian Week.
- Prep time:20 minutes
- Cooking time:20 minutes
- 75 g mashed potato
- 1 tbsp Kimchi roughly chopped
- 50 g savoy cabbage sliced thinly
- 1 spring onion finely sliced
- A little flour for dusting
- 2 tbsp Vegetable or Rapeseed Oil
- 2 St Ewe Eggs recommend Hen Picked which are great for poaching
- A dash of cider vinegar for poaching
- half a ripe avocado sliced
- Fiery Sea Pepper flakes or black pepper to serve.
- Place a small frying pan over medium heat. Add a tsp of the oil and then the savoy cabbage. Cook until it starts to wilt down. Add the kimchi and spring onion and cook for a minute or 2 longer.
- Remove from the heat and tip into a mixing bowl. Add the mashed potato mix well. There should be enough seasoning in the mix from the kimchi.
- Shape into 2 round cakes, flattening as desired. Dust with a little flour.
- Heat a small saucepan of water with the cider vinegar until just simmering.
- Heat a non stick frying pan over medium high heat. Add the oil. Once hot, carefully add the potato cakes and pan fry until golden on both sides.
- Poach your eggs as desired.
- Remove the potato cakes from the pan, drain on paper towels and then place onto a serving plate. Top with the sliced avocado and then the poached eggs.
- Sprinkle over some fiery sea pepper flakes if liked, or just some freshly milled black pepper.
If you have put our recipes to the test or have any stories, recipe ideas of your own or photos you would like to share with us, please send to Nikki or follow and tag us on your social media posts.