The motley crew over at Sam's in Cornwall are known for serving up heart, soul and a double shot of Rock 'N' Roll in their infamous restaurants, but this week they have been conjuring up something a little more wicked!
- Heat the oven to 180C/160Fan/Gas 4 and line a 12 hole muffin tin with cupcake cases.
- Beat the sugar and oil, then beat the eggs in one at a time, adding the vanilla and a little colouring if using, with the last egg
- Mix the flour, cocoa powder, bicarb together, then add half to the oil mixture and beat well before adding the yogurt, then the remaining dry ingredients. Divide between the cases and bake for 20 minutes
- Leave to cool in the tin for a couple of minutes and then transfer to a rack to cool completely.
The Marshmallow Icing
- When you are ready to serve, make the marshmallow icing. Put the egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar in a heatproof bowl and put over a saucepan of simmering water (making sure the bowl doesn't touch the water). Beat the mixture for 4-5 minutes with an electric whisk, until the sugar dissolves and the whites are puffed and warm to the touch.
- Remove from the bowl from the pan and place on a tea towel (the bowl can be slippy when wet!) and continue to beat for another 2-3 minutes, until the mix is glossy and forms stiff peaks.
- Spoon into a piping bag with a large rounded nozzle and pipe onto the cupcakes.
- Leave the ghosts to set for a minute or two, then use the writing icing to add spooky faces!