Shakshuka is a classic Middle Eastern dish and enjoyed for breakfast or brunch. It is made from healthy vegetarian ingredients and the traditional version uses tomatoes, onions and spices as the base with delicious eggs poached nestled on top. The name Shakshuka liteally means 'all mixed up'.
- In a large pan on a medium to low heat, warm the rapeseed oil and cook the onions very gently, ensuring no colour at all, for around 20 minutes until the onions are soft.
- Next add the garlic and cook gently for a further ten minutes.
- Add the white wine and the half the herbs, boil for around 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook on a low temperature for around 2 hours.
- Next add the vinegar, sugar and salt, and the other half of the fresh herbs. Cook for another ten minutes, then blend in the food blender.
- Pour into an oven proof dish and crack the 8 eggs onto the top.
- Bake in the oven at 190 degrees for between 8-12 minutes (the eggs should slightly wobble on the top a little.
- Sprinkle with a little coriander and serve immediately.