Sticky Toffee Pudding or STP is undeniably one of the Great British Classics and this recipe by St Enodoc Hotel's Executive Head Chef and Great British Menu contestant Guy Owen, is a decadent, treacly delight!
- The Pudding
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350F/Gas 4 and line loaf tin with greaseproof paper.
- Pour the boiling water over the dates in a bowl. Cover with clingfilm and leave to soak for 15 minutes until soft.
- Put the sugar and butter in a mixing bowl and beat until light and fluffy.
- Mix in the black treacle and syrup. Once combined, incorporate the flour and mix well.
- Add the eggs one at a time, stirring well after each.
- Mash the soaked dates and water with a folk until it becomes a thick paste.
- Add the bicarb to the dates and pour into the syrupy mixture and beat.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf tin and put into the pre-heated oven
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until springy to the touch – or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
The Toffee Sauce
- Put the cream in a saucepan and heat gently.
- Add the butter and sugar and whisk until melted. Then whisk in the black treacle and syrup.
- Turn the pudding out onto a serving dish and drizzle the toffee sauce all over the top